The Sheiling has a long and successful history in the fields of special education and social care. The formation of Sheiling College in 2012 marked the continuation of that expertise and development as the provision offered by the Sheiling School expanded. The Sheiling Special Education Trust was formed in 2013.
Sheiling School was founded in 1951 by Dr Karl Konig as a new centre for the educational work of the Camphill movement. Today there are in excess of 100 Camphill centres worldwide and the Sheiling continues to uphold the core principle of the Camphill communities - no matter what anyone's outward disability may appear to be, the spirit - the essential core that makes us all human - always remains whole.
In the decades following its formation Sheiling School spawned other education and social care initiatives. Eventually the Sheiling Trust was formed in the 1980s to encompass the Sheiling School, the Lantern Community, Sturts Farm and Ringwood Waldorf School. Devolution in 2013 means that each of these centres becomes independent and self-governed, allowing them to respond to the changing needs and demands of their particular professional fields, whilst ensuring the core founding principles remain central to the endeavour of the Sheiling School and the new Sheiling College.